Sunday 6 July 2008

Independence Day Reflections

Wow, it has been four months since my last post. I do apologize. Where do the days go... Well, back by popular demand (...or not), the latest post from abroad. It has been a busy summer: weddings to attend (my sister's), vacations and travels for business and pleasure - London, Isle of Man, Istanbul. Later on we'll be heading to the German's second home - Mallorca, an island off the east coast of Spain. It's been a truly humbling and wonderful experience for me so far to get to explore new countries and regions, from Eastern Europe to Asia. We can sometimes take our blessings for granted - not everyone can get to travel and experience different cultures or regions first-hand; and I am truly grateful for the many opportunities to take vacation, when I know others relish the one vacation they can take in a year. I know it's not Thanksgiving yet - we're still trying to enjoy the summer, yes! - but perhaps because of being reflective on the anniversary of the American Independence, and knowing how so many places in the world are struggling for independence - from war, poverty, hunger - I just feel very thankful.
Our Spring and Summer Highlights Thus Far: My sister', Sacha's wedding in D.C., May 17, to fellow journalist Brian DeBose

Vacation in June to London and the Isle of Man in the U.K. Many of you might not have ever heard of the Isle of Man. I hadn't either, before I met my husband's long-time ski friends. What a beautiful, medieval land with a rich history (and some rich clients...can you say, offshore funds...?) We spent 3.5 wonderful days exploring the island's ports and glens (woodlands and parks), bays and ancient castles. It is a must-see for those who love hiking, horses and history.

see mre pictures here (you will have to sign in to Snapfish): http://www3.snapfish.de/share/p=55491215589652687/l=122520398/g=112266663/cobrandOid=1010/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

National Flag, 3 legs that always land on their feet Castle Rushen in Castletown

ruins from a 12th centuy chapel for sailors

Castle Rushen by night

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.